Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Top 10's - Most legendary teammates



The series continues again! 

Today I am listing the most legendary teammates in my opinion. Here we go again...
  1. Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost (McLaren)
  2. Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton (McLaren)
  3. Niki Lauda and Alain Prost (McLaren)
  4. Giuseppe Farina and Alberto Ascari (Ferrari)
  5. Juan Manuel Fangio and Stirling Moss (Mercedes)
  6. Jody Scheckter and Gilles Villeneuve (Ferrari)
  7. Jack Brabham and Bruce McLaren (Cooper-Climax)
  8. Phill Hill and Wolfgang von Trips (Ferrari)
  9. Denny Hulme and Jack Brabham (Brabham-Repco)
  10. Mario Andretti and Ronnie Peterson (Lotus)
Senna and Prost both won a championship when they drove together, Hamilton and Alonso got the equal amount of points but lost to Kimi Räikkönen by one point, Niki Lauda won Alain Prost by half a point! Rest of the pairs on the list are teammates who I have only read about or seen in documentaries so they have got their spots based on that.

Stirling Moss would have been champion many times but was always 2nd behind Fangio in the championships. If he had driven in some other time period he would have gotten much more respect. Even though he never won a championship he is still one of the all time best. It's not easy to beat Juan Manuel Fangio. I bet most of the champions in history would lose against him.

Care to make your own Top 10 -list on the Facebook page for example? Go right ahead! I will read them all because I really want to know your opinions as well.

5 comments:

  1. Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And what about Piquet and Mansell in Williams!?!?!??!?! How you forget it!??!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment but I didn't forget it. They were indeed a legendary pairing but in my opinion these 10 ranked higher. In 1987 for example you could see that Mansell did so much better than Piquet but retired too many times. Piquet won the championship with three wins over Mansell's six wins. Mansell didn't compete in the last race and retired 5 times.. A pity that the season went how it went. I would rather forget that season even though I am not a Mansell fan. He just deserved it more that year. I still respect Nelson Piquet very much as a racing driver. He was very fast and passionate for the sport.

      Delete
    2. Hello. I respect your opinion. I have always followed your page. Some facts about Nelson Piquet: 1) You know that the English team that between the years 1986 and 1987 sucked technical knowledge to use it ... in favor of Mansell? 2) Nelson attended a college of engineering. 3) He knew about a "formula" as a team engineer. 4) He invented the active suspension. 5) The team filed the invention. 6) active suspension was only used when Senna was in the McLaren Honda and gave him a lot of work. 7) Nelson Piquet at the end of his career ... in Benetton invented the so-called "shark beak": the weak Ford V8 engine was not good. He worked on the aerodynamics of the car. M. Schumacher was his squire. 8) Nelson was responsible for pre-heating the tires. 9) He was also responsible for refueling of cars during races in the early 1980. 10) In 1994 ... the year that Senna would die: Schumacher was already showing problems Senna with a Benetton with an aerodynamic inherited from Piquet and a motor a little better - in my opinion Schumacher was the best in history. Fangio would be the second best. Senna was a great driver: unquestionable. But it was fast cars "ready". Piquet built cars or let them "ready".

      Delete
    3. I`m a brazilian journalist accompanying "Formula 1" since Emerson Fittipaldi was leaving the category and Piquet began his career; years later, already trained in journalism: I studied everything I could about the sport ... and I find it strange the whole world remember Senna and not remember (or not remember too much), Nelson Piquet. The great men who are passionate about Formula 1 in Brazil (pilots, journalists, etcs) also do not understand. Here ... Senna is known as one of the best in history, but has never been considered better than Piquet. Or Fangio and Schummacher.

      Hugs You.

      Signa: Gustavo.

      PS: I hope you will continue with your web site. It's great! Congratulations!

      Delete
    4. Thank you for your kind words!

      When you say "here" do you mean Brazil? I have thousands of Brazilian fans on Facebook who every day praise Senna but I don't remember anyone saying anything about Piquet. I used to work with a Brazilian who said that Piquet is hated in Brazil. I don't know anything about that but this is what he told me.

      And yes it is great that Piquet knows so much about cars etc. but when I think about driving I see Senna as the best.

      Delete